A report of child abuse is made every 10 seconds in the U.S. That’s over 3 million reports made every year. Furthermore, statistics show 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be sexually abused by the time they reach the age of 18. Tahoe SAFE Alliance offers a comprehensive Children’s Program for children that are exposed to intimate partner violence or who are victims of abuse and neglect.
Help us stop child abuse in our community! Your gift today will help us save the life of a child!
Child victims include:
- Physical abuse
- Sexual abuse/exploitation
- Physical/emotional neglect
- Health/medical neglect
- Intimate partner and family violence
- Abduction, school and community violence, acts of terrorism and hate crimes
Intimate partner violence and abuse:
Children exposed to intimate partner violence are often referred to as the “unseen victims.” Even though violence may be occurring only between the adults in the home, the children witnessing such situations are negatively affected as well. These children may try to protect the victim and consequently be physically harmed. Also, children tend to think they are the cause of the violence in the home.
The effects of intimate partner violence and abuse on children can produce significant deterioration in a child’s behavioral, emotional, physical, social and cognitive functioning. The consequences of intimate partner violence in a family can be devastating on the children.
Some of the negative effects that are seen in children include:
- Low self-esteem & depression
- Fear and anxiety
- Suicidal thoughts
- Poor academic performance
- Withdrawal from relationships with friends and family
- Don’t be a bystander of violence
- Provide a safe environment
- Believe the victim
- Listen & let them know you care
- Get help right away (medical, emotional, legal)
- Report it! Call 911 or the Tahoe SAFE Alliance Helpline 800-736-1060